Sunday, January 11, 2009

Thinking Warm Thoughts


It's been freezing in New York this week and I'm trying to think warm thoughts:  summer, 4th of July, fireflies, boat rides, sand, beaches, fairgrounds and food on a stick.  Sidebar - what's with summer county fairs and food on a stick?  My last visit to the Orange County fair brought me into contact with the typical corn dogs and hot dogs but then I came across the following foods served on a stick: cheesecake on a stick, pickles on a stick, fried cheese on a stick, fried fruit on a stick, waffles on a stick, fried candy bars on a stick, pizza on a stick etc.  It amazes me!  Anyway... back to warmth.  I miss living near the water.  I know that technically, I live near the water now, but it just isn't the same as living five miles from the Pacific Ocean.  I love when I'm home and I can just get in my car and five miles later I'm driving along Pacific Coast Highway, smelling the salt water and gazing at the enormity of the Ocean.  If I wanted to go see the Atlantic, I'd have to spend an hour on the N train down to Coney Island, walking across the street (dodging young hoodlums and trash) just to be able to dip my toes in the polluted and trash infested stretch of Atlantic that is Coney Island.  Sigh - just not the same.

*Malibu, pictured above (and me and Lane)

I just got back from a long weekend in a much warmer clime (where my hosts were wonderfully amusing, amazingly welcoming, and without a doubt the nicest people I know in Texas!) and I stepped off the plane to a delightful snow storm.  Oh well, at least it's 33 degrees here now, instead of the frigid 11 degrees it was on Friday when I left.  Here's to Belize and the beach in 25 days!


1 comment: